Monday, February 6, 2012

Swimming in February Changed My Life

December 2009 may be one of those snippets of time that, although didn't seem like much in the moment, becomes a point where I reflect back on as one that may have permanently altered my life.
That was my first football road trip with the Bengals Trailer.  Sure it was a short one to Indianapolis, but memorable nonetheless.  It was FREEZING that day!!  Snow and ice covered everything.  But the beef stew, the seven (7) layers of clothing, and the fire pit that melted Sweet Lou's (aka Iron Lou) jersey, kept us frost bite free.
I took many lessons away from that day, but there are three that stand out for me:
1) Don't stand too close to the fire pit.
2) If you're drinking beer in Indy and you have to pee do NOT go to the Arby's near Lucas Oil Stadium.
3) Getting talked into doing something completely insane may make you want to be a better person.
For at least a year my friend Ryan, along with the aforementioned Iron Lou, had been riding my butt to do this "Polar Plunge" thing.  "It's not THAT bad," they'd say.  Or, "It's for Special Olympics," they'd continue on, attempting to tug at my heart strings.  Finally they'd threaten, "we'll just pick your a$$ up, with Jocko's help, and throw you in."
Still to this day I don't recall if I had a momentary lapse in judgment or if I was one of the "unlucky" tailgaters who found a bay leaf in his stew.......I think it was the bay leaf lotto that got me.
I do my best to be a man of my word, however, so the following February I found myself soaking wet on the plaza at Newport on the Levee.  I recall thoughts such as, "Holy Shit I am going to die!!" racing through my brain when the wind whipped across my legs.  The exposed skin felt as if it were being stung by a swarm of killer bees.
Vaguely I remember a gentleman asking for a group picture and wanting to interview some of us for one of the local media outlets, but all I could think about was getting warm and dry.  Panic set in when I could not find my wife with my change of clothes.  Stepping into the heated tent to get out of the wind I recall "great I'm at Sausage Fest 2010."  All of the sudden it hit me that, although still wet and fully clothed, I wasn't cold anymore.  In that split second I realized that the 5 minutes of torture was worth while if it meant that I helped make a difference in the life of one of my neighbors who don't share the same opportunities I have thanks, in part, to what the medical field likes to call an "intellectual disability."  That brief moment of lucidity (trust me they are few and far between for this guy) in the tent, surrounded by a bunch of hairy naked dudes, is when I realized that I was hooked and was already excited to sign up for 2011.
Flash forward to Saturday, February 4, 2012, I proudly took part in my third consecutive Polar Plunge for Special Olympics of Kentucky.  Perhaps the most meaningful one to date.  It wasn't the coldest of the three.  It wasn't the windiest either.  It was raining a little bit, but there was something that made this one very special for me.
This was the first time that anyone in my family joined the team.  Not just one or two, mind you, there were 8 other people with whom I share relation.  My step-daughter, of course, who I proudly proclaim is a two year veteran at age 13 (gets me misty eyed just thinking about it).  One of my favorite cousins.  My niece and her boyfriend.  My brother's wife, Candy, who, by the way, is a fund raising juggernaut having finished in the top 5 overall, but got hosed at the end by sand baggers, but I digress. A very good friend and her brother plunged for the first time (if this were a pyramid scheme I'd be rich).  And, I can't go on without mentioning, the return plungers from years past.
There simply are not enough words in the English language, however, to describe what it meant to me to see my two sisters and my brother standing, soaking wet, posing with me for a team photo.  I've rarely felt that kind of pride.  I hope it isn't the last time that I do.
I was fortunate enough to take in what I hope to be the first of many Special Olympics events a few weeks ago.  Seeing the athletes (and they truly are athletes in every sense of the word) in action on the hardwood and knowing that events like the Polar Plunge help them continue participation is nothing short of amazing. If I have one regret it's that I don't have more time or money to devote to such a great cause.  I'm hopeful that hard work and will power will soon change that.
In retrospect, I suppose there was a 4th lesson I was going to learn from that Indianapolis trip in December 2009.  My hope is that my arrogant pride, spilled into these words, does not overshadow the lifelong lesson of humility taught to me by the millions of people Special Olympics serves.
Yep....swimming in February has changed my life. Interestingly enough though, it's the athletes and coaches who sing praises of those who raise funds that allow them to be involved.  In reality it should be ME thanking THEM for allowing me to be a small part of their world.


Copyright J.C. Gardiner 2/6/2012
backwardsjeff@gmail.com
FB -  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwards-Jeff/122548301200263
Twitter - @BackwardsJeff
Twitter #2 - DearCrabby (aka @JeffroGardiner)  






No comments:

Post a Comment